We are thrilled to see more itineraries venturing a bit off the beaten path to some of our favorite destinations aside from the more typical “Rome-Florence-Venice” itinerary.
One common request is for a hotel in Cinque Terre. While we love this incredibly unique and historic area, our preference is to visit as a day trip while basing in other towns just a bit more North along the Italian Riviera, or South along the Tuscan Coast. Frankly, we are not in love with the properties in Cinque Terre. We also think that once the sun sets the experience is more vibrant in other areas along the Riviera. We believe the below hotel options are a perfect base for a more well-rounded Italian experience. They are each also an easy trip to Cinque Terre, either by train or car.
Properties & Perks
Each of these Celebrated Hotels is a perfect base in the Italian Riviera and for exploring Cinque Terre.
- Grand Hotel Miramare (Santa Margherita Ligure) – This elegant, historic and family owned 5-star hotel epitomizes the classic Italian Riviera experience. It has been in the same family since 1945, and we absolutely love the team there. Their Celebrated Perk includes roundtrip train tickets from Santa Margherita to Cinque Terre!
- Excelsior Palace Hotel (Rapallo) – This is one of Italy’s most special 5-star resort experiences with phenomenal views over the sea. This is a classic property with beautiful traditional décor and modern comfort. They have a spa as well as beach access. Celebrated guests receive tickets for a cable car ride to the Sanctuary of Montallegro, built in late 1500s. From there you can also enjoy spectacular views and peaceful hikes.
Highlights of our Italian Riviera Celebrated Hotels
- One hour or less to Cinque Terre
- Each hotel has a train station within a mile
- Regional trains going to Riomaggiore (the first town of the Cinque Terre)
- Locations of the hotels are worth the time to discover! All offer natural beauty, beaches, historical interest, beautiful hikes, excellent shopping and gastronomical delights
- Other easy day trips: Portofino, Pisa, Genoa, Lucca, Pietrasanta
Celebrated Tip: A great way to complete an itinerary on the Italian Riviera is at Royal Hotel Sanremo (just 40 minutes from Nice Airport!) – a true five-star experience, which can include a visit to the casino, a trip to Monte Carlo, or just enjoy the local town and all the fabulous amenities this hotel has to offer. The Ligurian dinner our clients get with a 3-night stay is a great way to experience the local cuisine.