We love the great feedback we get from clients about Ballynahinch Castle in Connemara. Connemara is located just northwest of Galway and is one of Ireland’s six National Park areas. This is a wild and scenic region, often called Ireland’s Wild West! The hotel is very proud of its stellar location in the heart of Connemara scenery, and therefore creates an experience during the stay that really shows off the best of the area. Connemara blends the best of Ireland’s coastal scenery, boggy valleys, beautiful lakes and characterful mountains. Much of the area feels like it is from a land of make believe and could easily feature in fantasy films like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.
Ballynahinch Castle is one of the UK and Ireland’s finest country house hotels. A few years ago, the hotel was transformed by a dramatic refurbishment, and this beautiful country house is looking better than ever. The owners continue to invest in elevating the guest experience, and the most exciting new update is their walled garden. They have brought back this beautiful site to its former glory. The exterior walls have been rebuilt over the past six months by local craftsmen, all Irish speakers. It is finally flowering again, and we are thrilled.
Ballynahinch Castle is a great option for people who want to do more than just see Ireland. Our favorite activities while at the hotel are:
- Drive the Wild Atlantic Way. While this incredible road stretches for over 2500km, one of our favorite stretches is the area right near the hotel, between Galway and Westport.
- Fish on the hotel’s estate. There are many beats to choose from, and this is one of Ireland’s best fishing destinations. It is also a great place to learn how to fly fish, a great family friendly activity. In addition to fishing on the river, there are opportunities for fishing on a small boat while on a beautiful Connemara lake and even sea angling.
- The Islands & Lobster Experience. It starts with a boat trip on Roundstone Bay, seeing the grey seals, fishing and pulling up the lobster pots and the highlight for everyone is visiting the deserted island of Inishlacken. While there is no electricity or running water on this quiet island, there are glorious white sandy beaches and fabulous views.
- Country Pursuits. This is one of Ireland’s best regions for hiking. Dozens of our favorite walks are located in and around the Ballynahinch Estate. Also, the hotel offers clay target shooting and instruction by the talented and entertaining Shane Bisgood.
- Exploring the region. There are so many sites to discover. Our favorites include: Kylemore Abbey; Roundstone Musical Instruments; The Connemara Heritage and History Centre; and the Lavelle Art Gallery.